The Development Engineer Motor Controls is responsible for coding and developing all required software to effectively control the electric motor and generator through dedicated power electronics Inverters as commanded by the HCU. This position supports initial motor characterization for feed-forward control strategy, dynamic calibration at component and vehicle-level, diagnostics, ISO26262 functional safety and future AutoSAR requirements.
The position includes, but is not limited to:
• Responsible for Electric Machine software development supporting subsystem and vehicle-level design requirements.
• Supports program deliverables - specifically alignment to overall vehicle development schedule.
• Lead all Electric Machine software development and validation to ensure high-quality component and vehicle-level performance.
• Effectively manage all software design changes as part of internal customer requirements and baseline release process.
• Significant laboratory and vehicle-level testing and calibration, with irregular, extended and/or weekend working hours.
• Effectively directs work of other team members including engineers and technicians.
• Develop software (C++, Matlab, Simulink) integrating feed-forward control strategy, test results, diagnostics and industry best practices for control system code including redundancy.
• Lead investigation into internal, assembly and customer quality issues for timely, high-confidence resolution. Support robust problem-solving methodology (8D, Red-X, etc.) to define root cause and develop issue resolution path.
• Serve as company-wide subject-matter expert (SME) for Controls and Diagnostics for Electric Machines.
• Support software development within framework of vehicle program functional rollout plan.
• Develop and synchronize the phased calibration and development plan for the subsystem with program milestones and in conjunction with the vehicle level software release schedule.
• Support all manufacturing launch activity including Aftersales (diagnostics documentation, service bulletins, etc.).
• Lead the Problem Resolution and tracking process (JIRA) and provide feedback on status to tracked problems.
• Work in conjunction with purchasing and supplier development to ensure that only qualified suppliers are selected for current and future programs.
• Support opportunities for process improvements, tool development, and knowledge capture and retention.
Character traits and related responsibility:
• Works with all levels of management, including top management
• Communicates directly with management and cross-functional leaders as required.
• Must display ability to identify problems, recommend solutions, and negotiate and execute contingency plans.
• Must be able to accept personal responsibility and accountability for major analytical and planning assignments.
• Strong teamwork skills. Able to develop consensus and move the program forward. Develop win-win situations.
• BS or MS in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering or Computer Science with specialty in Software or Controls.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated controls software coding ability in C++, Matlab, and Simulink.
• Ability to resolve Controls requirements into software efficiently and effectively.
• Demonstrated understanding of vehicle development & system integration process.
• Knowledge of Electric Machine Controls in Electric Vehicles or Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEV).
• Hands on experience in electric powertrain systems validation and diagnostics.
• Knowledge of calibration and data acquisition tools, e.g. Vector CANalyzer.
• Strong problem solving skills.
• Sense of urgency and strong attention to detail.
Preferred Qualifications: (In addition to required):
• Experience with Hybrid vehicle/powertrain systems.
• Experience in software development and release for Electric Machines for EV application.
• Experience in automotive diagnostics and compliance.
• Experience in automotive OEM or supplier software validation and release process.
• Knowledge of automotive power electronics - Inverter, DC-DC Converters, etc.
• Knowledge of automotive energy storage subsystems (HV Battery) and its controls.
• General knowledge of ISO26262 – Functional Safety.